And Zacharias said to the angel, “How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years.” Luke 1:18
This scripture reveals a major flaw in all of us – unbelief.
Zacharias is a priest in a time with many priests. And by chance he is chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to serve in the Temple. All he has to do is light the incense.
What an honor.
He probably could not believe it.
While performing his priestly duty the angel Gabriel appears to his right. This shakes him up.
Gabriel assures him everything is okay!
He tells Zacharias that God heard his prayer and he and his wife will give birth to a son.
Not only that, but this child “will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’ and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.” Luke 1:17
Zacharias knew exactly what that meant – the Messiah is coming!
So let’s review.
1. A once in a lifetime opportunity to serve in the Temple.
2. An angel appears.
3. The angel says God heard your prayer.
4. The angel says you will have a son.
5. The angel says the Holy Spirit will fill your son from birth.
6. The angel says the son will come in the spirit of Elijah.
7. Elijah precedes the coming of Messiah.
8. Messiah is coming.
And Zacharias then asks, “How shall I know this?”
If you are like me, you think “I’d believe! I would not question God at all!”
Yet how often do we doubt?