And Peter answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.”
So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!”
A storm catches the disciples in a boat on the sea.
They are right where Jesus wanted them. He is the one that urged them to get in the boat and sail across the sea.
As they struggled with staying afloat, Jesus comes walking on the water. They were not comforted, in fact, their imaginations got the best of them, thinking it was a ghost.
Jesus speaks and reassures them it is Him.
Perhaps not fully convinced, Peter asked to go and meet Him on the water.
And he did.
I know it’s easy to blame Peter for lack of faith and sinking in the water. But Peter is the only disciple to get out of the boat.
- When your life is in a storm, perhaps that is right where God wants you so He can come to you and calm things.
- Have faith! Take a step out of the “boat”.
- Do your best to keep your eyes and heart fixed on Him.
- If you sink – call on Jesus.
- If you fail – call on Jesus.
- Walking on water is like walking anywhere else. It’s still walking by faith.
- Don’t quit!